Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Life is a gift


Life is crazy - there are no guarantees. Even the Bible says, life is a vapor... it goes fast!

I’m a firm believer that we only get one life to live... and that life determines what we do for eternity. The problem is that life seems to be so inundated with distractions that I rarely focus on eternity.

This week has been a train wreck from the normal routine of my life.

My wife and I have spent the better part of 3 days in the doctors office and hospital trying to help my oldest daughter get well. Her breathing was restricted due to an inflamed throat caused by severe croup.

During those 3 days several things occurred to me. One thing hit me... when tragedies or emergencies occur, they can draw people together. Not only did my wife and I work more as a team the last three days, I watched friends and family unite to pray for my daughter and our family. Also, I discovered that although nothing hurts me more than when my kids suffer; it draws them and me closer to God. You see suffering does several things, it causes prayer and it prioritizes meaning.

Let me explain. No one knows suffering more than Jesus. He experienced every form (emotional, physical, spiritual). Thus, when we go through suffering, we begin to experience what Christ experienced and the goal is to glorify God through it all (to trust and obey even when you don’t know what’s going to happen).

When life is fine, I rarely have a need for God. When life is on the line - I NEED God.

Finally, I also found myself not being so busy - but really focussing on what’s most important. In the church world (my job, my life), the next few weeks are important. We may have new guests attend a church service, we may be able to take offerings we would otherwise would not take - but, in all of these things, I find myself saying, “God’s in charge, not me.”

This week, God wanted me to take some sick days and spend them with family. I’m in awe of the ways God works. To be honest, I don’t always like them and I would not have done it that way. However, I’m content to say, His ways are better than mine.

So, have at it God. Do your thing. Surprise us, even in suffering. I pray - more than anything, we each see life as a gift. If we have breath in our lungs, then God’s not finished with you. He’s given you a gift to be enjoyed, used, and shared with others. Turn to Him and ask Him how to use the gift of your life today! - Keith Kirkpatrick

No comments: