Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Why I love JOURNEY CHURCH! (From Hymns to Hip Hop)

I have a funny job. I'm the boss at JOURNEY.... I mean... the Head Honcho... uh... I mean Executive Spiritual Leader... what I'm trying to say is Pastor.

Trying to describe my job sometimes is hard, weird, and always great! I get crazy reactions from some people, reverent from others, and still awkward from a few.

I get the privilege to lead one of one of the most unique communities I've ever been a part of. JOURNEY is fully of diverse, broken, and incredibly hopeful people. We have young, old, rich, and poor. There are houseless and house builders. We have jobless and business owners. JOURNEY is amazing.

Let me share one reason I love JOURNEY CHURCH. Once a month we have "Hymn" Sunday. It's a day when older spiritually rich songs are a part of our Sunday morning gatherings. They are not always done in traditional form, however, the lyrics and stories greatly inspire many. It's awesome.

This month, Hymn Sunday is April 29. And get this, the next Sunday, May 6 we have two hip hop artists leading our music. So, we go from Hymns to Hip Hop! I love it. Both musical styles are heavily loved; rarely if ever in the same place by the same people.

JOURNEY CHURCH embraces a Creative God. JOURNEY loves music that points to Jesus. No matter the genre. God's people are diverse, His Church is diverse, and I am honored to be a part of this great place! I love that we sing Hymns and Hip Hop. - Keith Kirkpatrick