Monday, March 19, 2012

Being lost is worth coming Home

For those of you who may not be aware, my mother has pancreatic cancer. She has good days and bad days, and has already outlived the doctors' predictions by a few months.
But last week was pretty rough for her. She was in a lot of pain, and was often very disoriented and delusional. We couldn't be sure, but felt that maybe she was getting close to the end.
And that's how the course of this disease has been for all of us, my mother included; emotionally, it's been like a roller coaster ride. I was listening to Neil Diamond's song "Stones" when I heard these lyrics, that really hit home at the time: "Being lost is worth the coming home." I shared with my family that I felt like that's where mom is at; she's lost right now, but soon she'll be going home. I think in some respects, that is also a metaphor for living as a Christian in this world - it's often difficult, we often feel lost in this world; but we know that one day we will go home to the Lord, and it will all be worth it.

As I was walking back to my room, the Spirit put a scripture on my heart. After a few minutes of searching, I found what I was looking for: Romans 8:18 (New American Standard translation) - "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that will be revealed to us." I was amazed at how powerfully that scripture spoke to my need and my life at this time. The next day, I read all of Romans 8; and while I had read it many times before, this time I was amazed again at what a beautiful and powerful piece of scripture it is - full of God's promises, especially verses 18, 28, and 38-39. I truly felt the Holy Spirit working in my life, and wanted to share those insights with Journey Church.

By the way, Mom has rebounded, and enjoyed a better few days recently. - Robert Shirley