Friday, January 13, 2012

Should I hate religion but love Jesus?


Oh yes, my church is a hospital for the broken, and I am certainly a patient if there ever was one. I often rest in God’s grace that He crafted me perfectly and wonderfully, in His image. Since I have a disease I need His healing hand. Yes, his grace is sufficient. Oh and yes, religion is corrupt.

Yet as I humbly accept His healing touch, I am also agreeing to a tremendous responsibility. I now represent. I represent a loving, gracious, powerful, almighty, and just Heavenly Father who lavishes His grace and mercy on me ... and I have a responsibility to obedience to a Creator who knitted me in my mother’s womb, created me with a purpose, and sent me into the world to represent Him. I am no longer my own - bought with the blood of the ultimate sacrifice. I forever owe my life to Him.

As I bathe in the beauty of a Gospel free from the chains of working my way into eternity with my savior, I am simultaneously compelled to practice discipline and restraint, and yes, maybe a little religion, in the purest sense of the word. Just as the Hebrew church was encouraged, I must also discipline myself for the race set out for me.

No, He does not call us to religion for religion’s sake. He calls us to obey, to humble ourselves, submit to His plan and His authority, to love our neighbors as ourselves. Religion via Jesus should not hurt those around us. James says, “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” (James 1:27, ESV) Religion has been corrupted by humanity. Yes, Jesus was the fulfillment of the “Law”, but He did not come to abolish it either.

Oh I often swim in the warm waters of the ocean of God’s grace, constantly begging for His favor on my family, and as I entrench my life in the depths of humanity’s brokenness, I hold myself accountable to live to a standard worthy of desire.

I think I’ll go pick up the cigarettes and empty jello shot cups right outside the doors of my church that dwells underneath a night club with my 2, 5 and 7 year olds. And I think we’ll pray for the person represented by each one as we do it, that they would eventually meet and get to know their Creator, and bask in His deep ocean of mercy and love and grace and freedom. And I may even take a picture, post it on facebook and title it: "Taking back my religion." - Kara Kirkpatrick

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Inspires and challenges.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I don't totally understand your post.
Are you saying that yes, you too love Jesus, but hate religion, or are you saying that having a religion is proof that you have love for Jesus?
I've seen the video that I believe you are talking about here, and i'll be honest and say I felt like this young man was saying the words I've searched to understand.
Your writing is wonderful, but it left me unclear. Are you bashing or celebrating the idea that loving God does not require four walls, a book and perhaps a uniform, but rather loving God means that you strive to live your life as he has asked you too?
Are you saying that I can not preach his word, and his love to the drug addicts, prostitutes, and homeless that live outside my building unless I have a denominational calling card?
I can't say that I agree or disagree with what you are saying because I'm left lost in what you are trying to say. Speak clearly and I'll listen.

Kara said...

Hi Anonymous! No problem, I will clarify. My intention was to demonstrate that one cannot hate religion yet love Jesus, the two are not mutually exclusive. My essay was an attempt to re-define religion, straight from the source (and through it I did acknowledge that horrible things have been done in the name of religion!). I think it's wonderful that the video helped you! I liked most of what he said!

Regarding the "denominational calling card" you referred to, I am uncertain how you concluded this? We are all called to be a light to our world! No matter where we worship! WE are His Church, bringing hope to our broken yet beautiful world.

Hope this helps =).

Kara said...

Here's a link to what I believe is a well written article regarding the video "Why I Hate Religion but Love Jesus":
http://tallywilgis.com/2012/01/jesus-hates-religion-thats-news-to-him/

Kara said...

Here is a blog post by the author of the video himself, whereby he acknowledges his shortfalls: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/
I do, however, absolutely understand and agree with his intentions!!!

Jeanette said...

I love how it gets people discussing Jesus and religion. I think people who are curious about it are the most interested in the video, and that is a good place to continue the discussion.

liturgy said...

it's a watch ad http://liturgy.co.nz/wanna-serve-jesus-buy-this-watch/8428